ADA Basics Course Overview and Login
First-time visitor or new student? Learn about the Course and Registration.
"ADA Basic Building Blocks" is an introductory webcourse on the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) that is designed to help increase your knowledge and understanding of the basic principles and core concepts in the ADA and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA).
Learn About the Course
You must Register for the ADA Basics webcourse to create your unique login that is needed each time this course is used to track your progress and eligibility for education credit.
The course is designed to provide you with the basic principles and core concepts of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA).
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss the purpose of the ADA using a civil rights framework.
- Identify the five titles of the ADA.
- Define the general nondiscrimination requirements of the ADA.
- Explain each nondiscrimination requirement using 1-2 real-life examples.
- Identify the defenses or limitations of each nondiscrimination requirement.
- Locate and use various resources for information on the ADA.
This 12-topic course may be accessed at any time using a computer or mobile device with an Internet connection. Each topic contains 2-8 pages of relevant information and real-life examples, as well as:
- Multiple-choice self-tests to "Apply Your Knowledge."
- Court cases and "Tell Me More"for further reference.
- Glossary of Terms and Acronyms and more Resources.
Topics in Course - 12
- Purpose of the ADA (8 pages)
- Structure of the ADA (3 pages)
- Enforcement of the ADA (5 pages)
- Cross-cutting Issues - Definition of Disability (9 pages)
- Cross-cutting Issues - Nondiscrimination Requirements (7 pages)
- Cross-cutting Issues - Nondiscrimination Requirements (5 pages)
- Title I - Employment (12 pages)
- Title II - State and Local Government (6 pages)
- Title III - Public Accommodations (12 pages)
- Title IV - Telecommunications (1 page)
- Title V - Miscellaneous Provisions (1 page)
- Course Wrap-Up (2 pages)
Help & Questions
Questions or problems with the course?
Southeast ADA Center
Phone: (404) 541-9001 [voice/tty]
Questions on the ADA?
ADA National Network
Toll-free ADA hotline: (800) 949-4232 [voice/tty]
All inquiries and requests for assistance are strictly confidential. We respect the importance of your inquiry and will respond as soon as possible. Information Specialists are available Monday - Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.